My Marans Flock

Monday, September 6, 2010

Tranquility


It is always a treat to be able to walk outside with my cup of coffee and be able to enjoy nature, without any disturbance. I can hear my own chickens, ducks, and guineas from afar, no city sounds, just pure tranquility (other than the occasional gun shots).

I live on 6 acres of land, there is a lot of nature as no one lived here for a while and it wasn't taken care of. I don't mind. I love the trees and big bushes (a great area for the chickens, ducks, and guineas to chill. I also get to see the wildlife around me such as screech owls, turkey vultures, hawks, etc...I just have to be careful with them and my own flock.

I like to take the dogs out with me, however Cleopatra, my younger one, tends to be a bit "hungry" when it comes to birds. She has to be on the leash when I am letting the birds out from the coops so they can free-range during the day. It is just safer that way. Cleopatra has always been this way; she has that hunting dog instinct in her which I cannot train out of her. I have tried for 2 years now. She may outgrow it, but for fairness, she will be on leash and enjoy the outdoors, and the birds will be safe and outdoors at the same time. Brutus, my older dog, is very caring towards the birds. I find him sleeping in the coop at times during the day and the chickens walk all over him like he is just another part of their flock. They do not not mind him. I wish Cleo was the same way, but the two dogs just have completely different personalities, and I respect that. I still love them both dearly and include them in all my adventures.
Brutus
Cleopatra
Letting the birds out is a fun time for me. I love watching them run into the bushes and trees, perching on the branches, well trying to at least. Some of my Marans Roosters are 15+ pounds and instead of perching they end up plopping one branch to another. Of course, they act like big babies and make it seem like someone caused their incident! I laugh a lot while I work or when enjoying the nature around me! 

One of the Chicken hangouts :)

A Black copper Marans Hen perching on a Branch
My Ducks love to run to the creek to get their daily yummies of frogs and fish :)


It is always a joy to enjoy nature without disturbances and stress. The birds are able to enjoy it too. It also makes the 6 acres more complete. In the future, I believe the land will be more full. There is a lot of talking about more pens, more buildings, which means more space. I still have the philosophy that quality overrules quantity. However, more space encourages less overcrowding and healthy happy birds (not that they are not that already :) :)






1 comment: